Saturday, July 14, 2007

Couch Potato

I have been spending an awful lot of time in front of the juke box these days. And to be very frank I am enjoying it like anything. I just like to plop on the sofa with the remote in my hand and surf through the channels. Sometimes I feel so relaxed because my worries and tensions(if any) seem to evaporate in thin air. Apart from that I love hindi movies to the core. They take me on a joy ride, I forget everything and start living the character. When I was in Kota; I with my pals used to go for movies every fortnight. And now when I look back I smile that we watched such flop films too just for the heck of it.
Another reason for sticking to the movies or serials is that I am utterly disappointed by the hindi NEWS Channels these days. They just drive me crazy. What happened to journalism and where have all the journalists gone????
Rajesh's claim of being the rebirth of an American scientist, Shani changing its position, people in Karnal claiming to see UFOs, a masjid being touted as an abode of ghosts or jins....and what not.
Is this what journalism is? Are they creating awareness or making people more superstitious and prompting them to carve their own fake stories so that they can be aired live on TV.
The trite reply from the perpetrators is "This is what people want to see." Well nothing can be further from the truth. Various channels like NDTV and CNN IBN etc don't follow the same path as their hindi peers. So can we deduce that these angrezi channels are showing what people don't want to see?
Well, I personally feel that the hindi News channels, just for the sake of airing programs throughout the day and differentiating themselves from their competitors, are resorting to such programs. For example initially these channels used to show the astrological shows early in the morning until one channel got this idea to broadcast the show at midnight, soon other channels followed the suit. No matter how our cricket team performs they always have to criticise the team in their discussions. And that too with highly caustic remarks and titles.
Media should infuse confidence in the masses and not cynicism. Media plays a very important role in the development of the society, we cant expect our society to be developed when the media is not realising its responsibility. These channels should take a leaf or two from CNN's or BBC's book. Till then, movie channels are a better option!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hey...nice blog... sad but true. and ya imagine my plight...my mum actually watches the astrology/news channels :) so no wonder they are still airing those shows... but me too sticking to the movie channels & star world....oh ya n not to forget the indian idols et al!

Unknown said...

N ya...i hope u know this is neha mehta... since i don't have a blog on blogger
http://jadedappetite.wordpress.com

himanshu yadav said...

definitely
but thng is true that a lot of ppl (may b those who like these sas bahu kinna stuff) do watch those tantrik n prince stories with awe.
But for sure it does not represent even a percent of serious news listeners whom dese channels primarily cater to...but may b the fourth estate these dayz is doin what it want under the viel of public demand
nice 1 dude...keep posting

Tanmaya said...

But of course we r living in the times of sensational journalism... which is more often sensation then journalism.
Interesting blog, i would say, that catches the plight of so many of us who have little choice but to stay with the contemporary.

And not to forget... the choice of topics for the blogs interests me.

Anonymous said...

I have to convey [url=http://www.oksunglassescheapest.com]cheap oakley sunglasses sale[/url] my respect for your kind-

heartedness supporting persons who must have guidance on in this subject

matter. Your real commitment

to passing the message all over

appears to be certainly helpful and has

without

exception enabled guys and women just like me to realize their goals. cheap oakley sunglasses , Your

insightful

useful information signifies a whole lot to me and substantially

more to [url=http://www.oksunglassescheapest.com]cheap oakley sunglasses for men[/url] my [url=http://www.oksunglassescheapest.com]oakley sunglasses cheap[/url] mates. Thanks a ton; from everyone of us.